Monday, February 27, 2006

Larry Arnhart Blog

Larry Arnhart has a blog here (hat tip: Timothy Sandefur posting on The Panda’s Thumb).

Several years ago I read Arnhart’s Darwinian Natural Right: The Biological Ethics of Human Nature. In the book, he draws together biological evidence and philosophical argument to paint a compelling picture of how human morals are derived from our biological nature. I found this to be a very valuable book.

I have ordered but not yet read his more recent book which shares a name with the blog, Darwinian Conservatism. The extension of his ideas into implications for political philosophy was a part of the earlier book, but not its emphasis (if memory serves). It looks like this area is the focus of the new book. My preconceived thought is that I’m less likely to agree as much with his conclusions in this area, but I’ll keep an open mind and report back here after I’m done reading.


No comments: